POSITION TITLE: Weld Engineer
REPORTS TO: Area Manager / Engineering Manager
SUMMARY The Weld Engineer evaluates various welding applications and processes. The objective is to validate the functionality of the weld equipment for the process of these applications. Must understand customer design and build specifications.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Develop and maintains a weld matrix for tracking the weld process.
- Attends internal and customer meetings when required.
- Review product for welding feasibility.
- Evaluates product changes and impact to weld equipment.
- Makes recommendations to product and tool designs for improvement.
- Coordinate and line up suppliers for weld equipment designs.
- Validates the sizing of the weld equipment for each application.
- Ensures designs are cost effective and meet customer specifications.
- Communicates with all Engineering, Applications, and Project Management groups.
- Provides documentation of weld process for the Weld Applications group.
- Releases weld equipment to be purchased.
- Understands and follows safety regulations and identifies safety concerns.
- Adheres to the Quality System and participates in continuous improvement.
- Regular and predictable attendance is an essential function of this job.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES Directly leads 3-15 employees or contractors. Carries out leader responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; addressing complaints and resolving problems
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE Associate's degree (A. A.) or equivalent from a two-year college or technical school; or two to four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Bachelors of Science Degree in Weld Engineering Technology or Weld Engineering is preferred with two to fours years related experience.
LANGUAGE SKILLS Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
REASONING ABILITY Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: AWS / GMAW Certified
PHYSICAL DEMANDSThe physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk, or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; smell; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENTThe work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.